The first signs of water damage might seem trivial – a drip here, a drop there – nothing that can’t be dried with a towel.
But warnings like water stains on the ceilings or a leak under the kitchen sink can lead to real problems like a weakened roof or rotten floorboards. A burst pipe can damage your furniture and other personal possessions, and flooding can very quickly lead to problems with mold.
But what about those leaks that aren’t so easy to spot? Water leaks can happen anywhere in your home
Signs that you may have a pipe leak:
- Water bills that seem unusually high.
- Water meter readings changing when not using water.
- Sewer backup problems that become chronic.
- Running toilets and dripping faucets.
- Running water sounds when nothing is in use.
- Spongy, soft, or discolored walls.
- Musty odors from floors, walls near drains, or sewers.
- Cracked, or unusually damp foundation or slab.
- Warm areas on concrete floors, mildew, or excessive moisture under carpets.
- In the yard, particularly wet or moist areas that are unusually wet or moist, often with very healthy (or unusual) plant or grass growth.
Other water leak indicators:
- Refrigerator – If you have a built-in icemaker, you have a built-in potential floor messer! In fact, the wet spots you see on the floor might indicate a crimped icemaker line and, if it’s crimped, it’s just waiting to burst. Anytime you move your refrigerator, check for water. The smaller the water accumulation, the more damaging the problem can be. That’s because water could be penetrating into your sub-flooring where major structural damage can occur before you even know what’s going on.
- Hot Water Service – The telltale sign? Wet spots surrounding the base. Probable cause? Internal rust or leaking valves. So check your HWS often, and make sure it has a floor drain beneath it if it is installed inside your home or at a minimum an automatic shut-off device.
Locating and Repairing the Leak.
Have you recently noticed any signs of water leaks? Then contact Your 1 Plumber today. With our electronic pipe leak equipment, we can pinpoint pipe leaks anywhere…including inside walls, under your floors, and underneath concrete slabs.
Better still, we can do so without ripping up any of these surfaces, and then make the proper repairs while helping you save time, money, and aggravation.